Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Resolutions to Make the New Year Bright

It's the most wonderful time of the year - right? I promised myself that when I decided to make this blog more personal, it wouldn't just be me ranting endlessly about personal insecurities. Today, however, I am going to take exception to that rule. While I have been busy running around doing my holiday shopping, something has been on my mind. I feel like I am in a state of inertia. I need a challenge. So, in the spirit of the season, I have decided to make my New Year's resolutions. I hope you will feel free you post your own here:
1. I WILL quit smoking. (for those of you who follow this blog, you know I tried to quit a few weeks ago. Despite my resolve, it didn't happen because I noticed I was getting a little depressed every time I went an extended period of time without smoking. Hopefully, this is just a temporary hurdle. My solution (among the many I could choose from) is to try to slowly ween myself off so I don't have a nicotine-withdrawal-induced breakdown.
2. Find new challenges. I am not sure what this is going to look like yet. I have been playing around with the guitar a little bit, but I'm not sure that I want to concentrate my energy on just one thing. There are so many challenges I could take on that I get overwhelmed by the choices. As a result, I stay home and watch tv (probably not the plan I want to go with). So I'm torn between finding one area to really focus on challenging myself or to find little things to challenge me everyday. Maybe I'll go with both choices.
3. Try to find time to meditate consistently. I swear it really does make a difference. It's like brushing my teeth. I know it's good for me and sometimes I even enjoy the sparkly fresh clean feeling, but it's a challenge to make myself do it after every meal. I hope to make meditation a consistent practice, so I can enjoy a multitude of benefits.
4. Volunteer. I think the best way to get rid of that underutilized feeling is to give back to others, so starting in January, I will be volunteering at a local mental health center.
I could go on and on, but these are my top resolutions. I hope to explore the idea of taking on new challenges, as well as hearing some of your resolutions in the coming days.

1 comment:

  1. RESOLUTION ON RESOLUTIONS
    1. Make no resolution I won't keep.

    2. Live life deliberately.

    3. Love intensely.

    ReplyDelete