Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Giving Up Your Image, Getting Peace of Mind

A friendly reader compared quitting smoking with her troubles being worry-free.I think a lot of us can relate to this problem, myself included. Some people worry about future events, some about meeting their goals. Personally, I worry most about what people think. There! I wrote it down; it's true.

I know this is suppossed to be a problem that only affects middle schoolers, but I must admit I worry about the image I'm presenting from time to time. Now, I know this is a very uncool problem, but I suspect that most of us have at least a little bit of an image to protect.

This may be that you are a person who makes a lot of money. What do you do when you suddenly lose your job? Or, you may want people to think you are a great parent, but the darn kid came home drunk last night. What are we to do about our images?

To be honest, I think this is a problem that gets easier with time. When I turned 30, I had a friend tell me, "In my 30s, I quit caring what people think." Plus, I have yet to meet a senior who seems too preoccupied with what other people will say.

Beyond letting time take it's course, I am renewing my commiment to meditating. I know I talk about meditating ad nausem, but it's a great way to train the mind. The keys are consistency and dedication (neither of which I have regarding meditation at this point in my life - maybe soon!). If we can train our minds, then we can kick out pesky thoughts like, "I walked around all day with spinach in my teeth. People are going to think I don't brush." Then, maybe I won't worry if you think I'm a nerd for having this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment