Monday, June 20, 2011

Jumping in

So, I took the weekend to get things together around the house (we had been in the Dominican on our honeymoon), and now I am ready to start my first official day as a professional writer. In Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird, she recommends letting yourself write shitty first drafts. Man, have I got that one covered! I used to think I was a fairly decent writer, but this project has totally changed my mind. Does every writer feel this way, or is it just me? My junior high self, which resides in my otherwise grown-up mind, is telling me I should cut my losses and maybe see if I can get a job as a bank teller. But I have my books to encourage me, and at least one writer I enjoy has given me permission to write the worst first drafts I can possibly think of. 
I write my first drafts on computer, sometimes, and on paper, more often. I feel like it's easier to think on paper. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I type with two fingers (guess that job as an administrative assistant is out). There's something about the flow of my hand on paper that matches the movement of my thoughts and seems to make it easier to think. Also, when I'm writing my shitty first drafts, I tend to write from the title, straight down in a linear style. No thesis sentence first. That will come when I get to it in the essay. I sometimes go back and rearrange the order of my sentences, but it's rare. Usually, I don't spend nearly enough time in this editing stage. It's something that I want to work on - right after I post this paragraph.

1 comment:

  1. Mary - I love reading blogs, so I'm going to start following yours :) I had to comment because Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" is the book that is used in our dissertation writing seminar. Here's to shitty first drafts, friend! Can't wait to follow your adventure!

    ReplyDelete