Thursday, October 6, 2011

How to Overcome Your Inner Critic

I received so many good suggestions on how to get started on my new song writing hobby without putting out a lot of cash. Thank you to everyone who made a suggestion!

So, I have a guitar, and now I have many good ideas on how to get started playing it. Unfortunately, it's really hard for me to start something new. I am (surprise, surprise) a bit of a perfectionist, and somehow, in my twisted thought process, it is better to not do something at all than to begin and not do a great job. This is silly because no one excels at a project when they are a beginner, and I could be missing out on some great experiences.

Perhaps this is the problem some have with writing. I know the perfectionist bug has bitten me from time to time when I am writing (I'm thinking thesis).

My idea is to begin writing (or playing guitar or pogosticking or whatever) for small increments of time to begin with. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes. That sounds doable. Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment