Friday, July 1, 2011

Moving by standing still

I recently came across the following passage:
In the pursuit of knowledge,
every day something is added.
In the practice of the Way,
every day something is dropped.
Less and less do you need to force things,
until finally you arrive at non-action.
When nothing is done,
nothing is left undone.
I think this passage by Lao-tzu could have a profound impact on writers and those who want to improve their writing. Writing is not about forcing things. Writing works best when it has flow. I try to achieve this by writing stream-of-consciousness style. When I write without stopping to think, my writing is not only more lyric, it is more passionate and easier to understand as well. There will always be plenty of time later to edit. There is definitely a place for revisions. However, when writing the first draft, write quickly, and write from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment