Tuesday, July 19, 2011

recommendation day

One thing I wanted to do with this blog is to recommend different forms of creative work that stimulate my writing and, hopefully, will spark yours, too. I thought about starting with some specific bands and singers that really speak to my heart. However, today it might be more useful to talk about how I find new music. Personally, I mostly listen to rock and have found that pitchforkmedia.com  has excellent reviews of up-and-coming and little-known bands. In particular, their best of the year list in December weeds out some of the flash-in-the-pan bands in favor of more solid albums.
For listening, I've found that World Cafe on http://www.npr.org/ has fabulous music. I recently heard a new band called the Head and the Heart, and I am eager to check them out on iTunes. World Cafe runs from 7pm to 9 pm, Monday through Friday here in Boulder. Check the NPR site if you want to see when it comes on in your area.

No comments:

Post a Comment