Monday, August 22, 2011

Patience and the War of Art

I have mentioned before in this blog a few books on writing that I like and have one more to add to the list. I recently heard about The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield (author of The Legend of Bagger Vance). This is a book on stoking your inner creativity, like The Artist's Way, but much more enteraining.
One idea he stresses is having patience. Patience is something I am working on right now. Building a writing career takes time, as becoming a better writer takes time (and practice). As a writer, I have to work at both.
My career has been moving forward in fits and starts; it takes patience to not give it up for something easier to achieve. Then I am reminded that businesses take time to build and am again using Pressfield's much vaunted patience.
There are so many things that take patience and we live in a get-it-fast culture. I increase my patience by reading books like The War of Art and writing about my thoughts in my journal. Meditation also helps me learn to wait more patiently. What do you do?

1 comment: