Thursday, August 4, 2011

writing down the bones

So I am currently reading Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. Apparently, the text is used by high school teachers in english classes, but I've gotten alot out of it. I was most impressed by her ideas on first thoughts. Most of us, when we write, try to edit and revise as much as we can. Goldberg discourages this idea. She thinks it's best to go with first thoughts and not to suppress any instinctual motivations. Sometimes, the first draft is the best. We have touched on this topic before, by discussing the flow of writing, but now I think it's more appropriate than ever. This is because I am working in communications now, and it's definitely possible to lose sight of the joy of writing. The joy of writing is being present and enjoying every moment, not demoralizing yourself with how many revision you have to make. Revisions are important when the time comes, but, in the meantime, enjoy yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment