Thursday, August 25, 2011

Is Fiction an Act of Kindness?

I know, I know. I have been lax in posting;) I am back in the game and will have a post for you today and tomorrow.
I have been trying to write some fiction lately and having a very tough time. I write in my journal almost everyday and get a joy from it like no other. Fiction, on the other hand, is like trying to get the last bit of food caked on a plate. Difficult.
 I can't seem to write without injecting myself into the story. Usually my journal entries are just the daily update of my feelings, and it's easy enough for my to think about what I'm feeling. After all, I'm with me all day and night.
However, fiction is about thinking about what your characters are feeling.
 Hmm. . . maybe writing fiction is an act of kindness, a way to think of someone else before yourself. Maybe it is a way to step outside yourself and look at the world with fresh eyes.
Perhaps with time and practice, this will get easier, both in fiction and in general. I'm not saying I'm going to write the great American novel, but we could all use a little less egocentrism. With that in mind, let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment