Friday, August 19, 2011

Learning to market yourself as a writer

If you are going to write full time, there are some steps you need to take care of. If you're a book writer, you've got to find an agent. I, as more of a business communications person, have different issues altogether.

When it's a hobby, writing is a craft; when it's your livelihood, writing is a business.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that writing professionally takes the art out of your writing. I am suggesting that perhaps as a professional writer, I need to spend more time think about marketing myself.

I went to a seminar last night on web writing and was amazed at how the writers there used the Internet to promote themselves. I kept thinking, "I wanna do that!"

The following are a few things I learned that you can do to promote yourself as a writer:
  • Get on social media - I have a blog but have been igmoring other forms of communication.
  • Have a website
  • Check out blogs by other writers

No comments:

Post a Comment